Friday, March 26, 2010

really, really, ridiculously good looking

Reading "Above the Law" earlier today, came upon a post entitled "Attractive People May or May Not Be Better Lawyers, But They Do Get Paid More."

This initially got me excited as, "Well I guess it all started the first time I went through the second grade. I caught my reflection in a spoon while I was eating my cereal, and I remember thinking 'wow, you're ridiculously good looking, maybe you could do that for a career.' ... Be professionally good looking."

However, the news for really, really, ridiculously good looking ladies like me, is not all good.   In fact:
"[S]tudies of attractiveness and earnings" showed that " for women, being very attractive means they are less likely to make partner. The data on this was bell shaped. The least attractive and most attractive women were least likely to make partner. This was not the case for men. The more attractive guys are, the more likely they are to make partner."
The study author posits that this is the case because "the very good-looking women are probably getting married.”  Of course there's no reason why married women can't be partners, so I'm assuming he means "getting married, having kids, and being deemed the primary caregiver for those kids," or "getting married and assuming the position of non-working trophy wife."  Actually that second one sounds great...    

No comments:

Post a Comment