http://www.slate.com/id/2243529/
at the time i read it, the topmost comment was by "amy" who had this to say:
People who are in the" rich man" tax brackets but complain the loudest about feeling poor are all those saps who have children. I understand, Moms and Dads feel compelled to provide the best care and schooling and violin lessons and $18 an hour nannies so that at the end of the month there is nothing left for living, parents stare into skinny checkbooks, fret about the price of organic foods, wonder how they will ever retire at 55! Blah blah.i've definitely heard this sentiment before, but never quite as stridently. it's quite a spectacular rant, even if you think she's a "dumb f*cker" with a "stone stupid" point of view.
Based on what I am reading in this comment section the biggest mistake a person can make is having children - if the goal of a person is to feel financially secure now and into the future. Also, much to my surprise, research has repeatedly shown that people with children are not happier or more fulfilled than those of us who chose to remain spawn free. So perhaps the baby mistake was absolute.
Who cares if abstract construct like "society" or I have read "the species" fall away after we have gone? Why should I suffer in my short life for some abstract concept like "society"? Japan has a negative birthrate, and their society is intact. Don't worry, dumb f*ckers will have kids, and those kids might not be stupid. It happens, I have seen it - smart kids from stone stupid parents. Society will move on without $250k'ers having kids.
If you want kids, have them. I don't begrudge any parent the government baby deduction and I wouldn't mind if society used less money "fighting terror" or whatever, and instead funneled more tax dollars to fund better services for families (not like outrageous shit like, $18 nannies and violin lessons though). But please, oh please, don't complain once you have the kids. I had so many vibrant exciting intellectual friends once, now they all have kids and are perfectly dull.
sorry sally. i didn't mean to become "perfectly dull"... can we still be friends?
ReplyDelete-ty
damn hon, if you're perfectly dull, i better give up the ghost. you outpace me every time we party.
ReplyDelete